News, Calendars, and Events
This page provides general information about viewing events in the Georgetown University Master Calendar.
For information on maintaining an event calendar, see the documentation home page.
The Georgetown University Calendar is organized based on day, week and month views. These links are always visible under the calendar name to the right of the current date.
By default the calendar displays all events for everyone based on the calendar view (day, week or month) you select. The words 'All events' and 'For everyone' appear in the drop down menus at the left of the screen under the date. If you search by an event type, intended audience or use the advanced search option, the resulting events will be presented in the same view from which you started (day, week, etc.).
Once you have selected either an event type or intended audience, you may change the calendar views while continuing to see only the events matching your criterion. If, for example, you select 'Wellness' for today and find no events are listed, you can check for wellness events for the rest of the month by simply clicking on the 'month' view.
To release the search criterion and return to a presentation showing all events for the active view, click on 'Show all' to the left of the drop-down menus.
The day view shows all events for a selected day.
To see the day view for another day, click on that day in the small calendar array at the right of the screen.
By default the week view displays the current week without weekends.
Week View (with weekends)
You can choose to include weekends by changing to the week view with weekends (darker gray columns indicate weekends).
The default month view presents the current month without weekends.
Month View (with weekends)
You can choose to include weekends by changing to the month view with weekends (darker gray columns indicate weekends).
List all upcoming events
If you wish, you can list all upcoming events on a selected calendar.
This can be helpful if a calendar has just a few events spread across many weeks.
This option is not available in the Master Calendar view.
In the week and month views, you can jump to the view of a selected day by clicking on the large number of the day.
The arrows on either side of the date at the top of the screen allow you to move forward or back in time by one unit, according to which view is active. For instance, if the month view is active, click on the left arrow to see the previous month's display; if the day view is active, click an arrow to see the previous or next day's events.
Browse or search events by type in order to make it easier to find events of interest. Only a limited number of event types are provided in order to make it easier to browse.
- Academic events: Lectures, talks, symposia, conferences, and other events of an academic nature.
- Career and professional events: Career-related events such as job fairs, employer recruitment days, and career development workshops.
- Courses and training: Courses, seminars and workshops not specifically academic.
- General interest events: Book signings, conferences, lectures, talks, and other workshops not specifically academic or social in nature.
- Meetings: Business gatherings, club and staff assemblies, and other meetings not specifically academic or social in nature.
- Performances and exhibitions: Theatre, dance, music, and museum, library, or gallery exhibitions on campus or produced by Georgetown organizations.
- Religious events: Services, prayer meetings, discussions, and other religious events not specifically academic in nature.
- Service and volunteer activities: Public service activities, volunteer projects, community outreach and other programs that foster Georgetown's commitment to service.
- Social events: Social activities organized by student groups, academic departments, and other University offices.
- Sports and recreation: University sports events, recreational activities, fitness program deadlines, etc.
- University dates: Academic dates such as start of classes for various schools and programs, beginning and ending of spring and fall break, commencement, etc.
- Wellness: Health awareness, counseling sessions and other activities addressing health concerns.
- Other events: Events that fall outside the boundaries of defined categories.
Browse or search events by audience in order to make it easier to find events of interest. Audiences are broken into the following categories: Prospective students, Current students, Faculty and staff, Alumni, Family and friends, Press and General public. Events targeted for prospective students, current students, faculty and staff, and family and friends are also listed on the University home pages for those audiences.
The Search form allows you to search for events using a keyword, start date, intended audience, event type or combination of these elements.
Return to documentation home page